The beach – any beach – is my favorite place. It doesn’t matter what the season is: the beach is always my first choice for a get-away. During 2010 I had the opportunity to spend time at beaches on both coasts of the U.S. In no particular order, here are some of the most memorable scenes for me:
– Walking on the beach with the Pacific Ocean on the right and a spectacular view through the palm trees of the snow-capped San Gabriel mountains off in the distance to the left in Long Beach, CA.
– Watching pods of dolphins slice the water gracefully, pacing me as I walked along on the beach in Long Beach, CA.
– Joining dozens of people throwing thousands of beached sand dollars back into the Gulf of Mexico after rough water or errant currents tossed them onto the beach in Naples, FL.
– Nearly stepping on manta rays scuttling by, rushing like cars on a Los Angeles freeway, in ankle-deep water in Hilton Head, SC.
– Delighting in the sight of a rainbow stretching across the ocean in Long Beach – without the rain that usually precedes this sight.
– Seeing the “southernmost menorah in the U.S.” in Key West, FL.
– Marveling at the way that the same pelicans that are so ungainly in their splash- down landings can glide effortlessly just above the tips of the waves.
– Being taken by surprise at the unexpected the warmth of the Atlantic Ocean in Hilton Head, SC.
– Watching surfers dotting the ocean as they waited for the right swell to catch their attention and challenge their skills in Huntington Beach and Encinitas, CA.
– Enjoying the Christmas lights adorning the boats and docks at night, and the brightly lit Christmas “trees” floating in the bay in Long Beach, CA.
Here’s to many more memorable beach moments in 2011!
© 2010 Pat Lynch. All rights reserved.